Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Mommy, interupted

I can't imagine a world with no kids. And by no kids, I mean no kids of my own. Isn't that strange? It wasn't so very long ago that I didn't have kids. I spent the first 24 years of my life without children. Of course, I myself was a child for much of that time.

Anyway, I was sitting on my couch this morning thinking of all the things I could accomplish in a day if my kids weren't here. And then I thought "what would my day be like if I didn't have any kids at all". I absolutely could not imagine it. I can imagine going on vacation without them, or having a day without them, but I can't imagine having my life, but not having them.

I like to think I'd spend my days sewing, running errands, sewing, reading, sewing and so forth. Even the tantalizing idea of showering everyday crossed my mind. Ah yes, those were the days. Isn't that sad? My most precious memories of being single involve showering each and every morning. I know that is the single biggest cliche about motherhood - the not being able to shower thing. But it is so true!!!

Anyway. I do, in fact, have my kids with me all day today. The weather is absolutely gorgeous, so they are out playing on the swings. I should be doing some laundry, but I thought I'd sit down at my computer for just a minute.

As you may have guessed from the above paragraph, I haven't been getting much sewing done lately. This is causing me great frustration. I have a bunch of projects going and I'm motivated about all of them. They're all at a stage where I can see them really coming together if I could just sit down and work at them, uninterrupted. Uninterrupted. Hmm... interesting thought. I wonder how you accomplish that?

Ok, ok, enough whining. If I didn't have kids, I'd probably have some other demanding, time-consuming job that didn't allow me to go to the bathroom with the door closed. What? No? You ARE allowed to close the bathroom door at most adult jobs? Hmm...maybe I should reconsider my options.

No comments: