Monday, September 29, 2008

Boys Are Just Different

Boys are just different. I've said it over and over again. I didn't think that parenting a boy would be any different than parenting a girl. Well, I knew that eventually it would be different. I just didn't think it would be apparent at two years old.

I bought the kids some new shoes for fall. Eva was really excited and had to try them on right away. Then she had to go upstairs and put on a fancy outfit, so she looked all dressed up in her new shoes. She came downstairs and said "Look at me, Daddy ! Don't I look pretty? Mom bought me new shoes." Quinn didn't seem all that interested in looking at his new shoes.

So, the next day it was time to put the new shoes to go to the store. Here's how it went with Quinn:

"THESE AIN'T MINE SHOES!"
"Buddy, these are your new shoes!"
"THESE AIN'T MINE SHOES"
"Look, Mommy bought you new shoes."
"THESE AIN'T MINE SHOES"
"Quinn, your old shoes don't fit. They hurt your toes."
"THESE AIN'T MINE SHOES"

And so it went, on and on, with each round growing a little more hysterical. Screaming, kicking, crying and general fits. How dare I buy him new shoes. Maybe he wants to revive the custom of binding feet. Who knows. Like I said, boys are just different.

No comments: