Wednesday, September 10, 2008

For Sale

One sister for sale!
One sister for sale!
One crying and spying young sister for sale!
I'm really not kidding,
So who'll start the bidding?
Do I hear a dollar?
A nickel?
A penny?
Oh, isn't there, isn't there, isn't there any
One kid who will buy this old sister for sale,
This crying and spying young sister for sale?


Does anyone remember this poem by Shel Silverstein? It was in Where The Sidewalk Ends. That was my favorite book by him. Are you wondering why I'm posting chidren's poetry on my blog? I'm so frustrated with Quinn this morning I was thinking about listing him on Ebay. Certainly someone would bid on him, he's very, very cute. And I wouldn't post any audio. Then I realized it's probably illegal to post children on ebay, although I would be sympathetic with any parent tempted to do so.

As I was amusing myself thinking about the potential listing this poem popped into my head. It just seemed appropriate. Also, it added a bit a humor to my very stressful morning. So, now that I'm had a little laugh I'm feeling a little better. I guess I won't sell him after all.

Would anyone like to rent a two year old boy? Terms are negotiable.

1 comment:

Timothy and Allison Peet said...

I love Shel Silverstein. My other favorite poem is "Sick" where she finds out it's Saturday and goes out to play! Also the "Too many kids in the tub" is great too.